An overview of the Mill Sites Committee
In 1940, the Town of Brewster acquired the property encompassing the Herring Run, Gristmill, and the remains of Factory Village on Stony Brook Road. The Millsites Committee oversees the preservation of Brewster's historic Gristmill, and the town-owned land and scenic footpaths along Stony Brook.
The Gristmill (c. 1873) uses the falling water of Stony Brook to power its waterwheel. Inside, the miller grinds corn on the turning millstones. Visitors may purchase fresh cornmeal as a souvenir of their visit. Upstairs, the Museum features artifacts of Cape Cod life in the 1800's, and an antique loom used for weaving demonstrations. Photos and descriptive signs tell the story of Brewster's sea-faring history, the Herring Run and the industrial development of Factory Village.
Gallant Films has a short film that shows the recent renovation of the mill's water wheel and works.
The Gristmill from Jamie Gallant on Vimeo.
How to Get There:
From Route 6 (Mid-Cape Hwy): Take exit 10 (Brewster/Harwich), and follow Route 124N toward Brewster. Turn left at the first traffic light, and proceed to the intersection with Route 6A. Turn left onto Route 6A and proceed approximately 1 mile to the blinking yellow light. Bear left at the blinking light onto Stony Brook Road. Parking for the Gristmill and Herring Run will be about 3/4ths of a mile on your right.
History of Stony Brook Gristmill and Brewster’s Factory Village
Subsequently, the great waterwheel has been rebuilt, the gristmill restored, and corn is again ground into golden meal - for the pleasure of visitors and Townspeople.
Minutes of Meetings
Brewster Town Offices
2198 Main St
Brewster, MA 02631